Regional Group Rules & Awards
REGIONAL: FOR GROUPS ONLY©
FOR GROUPS ONLY© is dedicated to all of you GROUPS out there. Each division is divided into age groups.
- Minis (4 – 5 years of age)
- Tiny Dancers (6 – 8 years of age)
- Juniors (9 – 11 years of age)
- Teens (12 – 14 years of age)
- Seniors (15 – 20 years of age)
- Adults (21 and older)
Adults (Ages 21 &older) can compete for awards only and will not be considered for overall high score of the day. If a dancer within any group is 21 then the entire group can compete for awards only and will not be considered for overall high score of the
- Duet/Trio (2-3 people) will receive 2:45 min max. Extended (5 minute max).
- Small groups (4-9 people) will receive 3 min max. Extended (5 minute max).
- Large groups (10-19 people) will receive 4 min max. Extended 5 minute max).
- Teams (20-29 people) will receive 6 min max. Extended (8 minute max).
- Productions (10 or more) will receive 6 min max
*Each group will have 20 seconds to set up their props with the exception of those with SET PIECES which are given 2 minutes. Studios must place the props themselves on stage before the dance and take them off stage after the dance very efficiently in order to stay on our time schedule.
“It’s all about the dance style….not the style of music” *
*To make it easy for you please note that each dance is allowed 3 acro moves or Passes. All other N.Y.L.A. Dances containing more than 3 gymnastics or Acro moves must to be entered in Acro Dance or Contemporary Fusion.
Any gym/Acro move or tumbling passes combined with choreography. Does not include frontward rolls, backward rolls, or cartwheels.
Any Dramatic or Comedic interpretation which emphasizes method, interpretation, staging, and control.
Sub Style Divisions will be divided into Drama emphasis and Comedy emphasis.
Either Classic in Ballet style & terminology OR contemporary use of new Ballet techniques
Any style of dance portraying a recognizable character with dance, costume, and music.
Use of all clogging techniques & styles.
Incorporates Release Technique, COREmovement styles, or fused modern with lyrical & jazz styles.
A fusion of 2 or more different styles of dance within your choreography.
All entries which are mailed in with OPEN CATEGORY on their entries will be placed into this style division.
All forms of world culture dance styles. Few examples : Spanish, Korean, African, Irish.
EEither Classic in Jazz style &terminology &choreography OR contemporary use of new Jazz Techniques (CONTEMPORARY, BROADWAY, & THEATER DANCE STYLE welcomed).
(CONTEMPORARY BROADWAY &THEATER DANCE STYLE WELCOMED).
Musicality & dynamics emphasized. Added use of emotions, balance, stories, & control.
Center Contractions, shapes, and body lines used to form abstract ideas.
Any dance using Poms or Drill combined with line formations.
Any style of dance done with toe shoes.
Must have a minimum of 10 dancers incorporating any number of styles.
Choreography for street or video dance. Includes pop & lock or breakdance.
Song & Dance
Any style of dance combined with live or recorded singing .
Either Classic in tap style & terminology OR contemporary styles of Heavy Strike rhythms. No tape on taps.
Any style of dance which includes aspects of Theater Dance, Musical Theater, Song & Dance, or Musical Theater songs.
T33 (TRIPLE THREAT to the 3rd DEGREE)
Combining any style of dance, any style of song, & any style of acting monologue to make-up the required 3 minute performance.
Any type of vocal presentation which emphasizes musical range, pitch, style, and timing.
Sub Style Divisions will be divided into ROCK Music emphasis, POP Music emphasis, and Stage Screen & Classic Music emphasis.
Prizes and Awards
Everyone receives an award for entering.
- Duet/Trio $50 NYLA Rewards overall high score (11 & under) & (12 & over)
- Small groups $100 NYLA Rewards overall high score (11 & under) & (12 & over)
- Large groups $100 NYLA Rewards overall high score (11 & under) & (12 & over)
- Teams/Productions $100 NYLA Rewards overall high score (11 & under) & (12 & over)
- Overall high score group of the day $100 NYLA Rewards
*Each division must have at least 5 entries in order to be awarded Rewards.
All NYLA Rewards prizes will be awarded to the teacher or studio director only.
Highly Acclaimed Judges Awards
- NEW YORK AWARD – Best NEW YORK Style
- LOS ANGELES AWARD – Best LOS ANGELES Style
- NYLA DANCE AWARD – Most Entertaining Group Dance (Highest Judge’s Honor)
- CHOREOGRAPHY AWARD, COSTUME AWARD, and PROPS AWARD
Plaques or Trophies will go to each winning studio within each age division of Minis, Tiny Dancers, Juniors, Teens, and Seniors listing their achievement (Platinum, High Triple Gold, Triple Gold, or Double Gold).
Each regional dance scoring Platinum, High Triple Gold, Triple Gold, or Double Gold qualifies for Nationals.
***PLEASE FOLLOW THE SOLOS GUIDELINES FOR BREAKDOWN OF POINTS, AGE DIVISION, AVERAGING AGES, DETERMINING LEVELS, DEDUCTIONS, VIDEO/PHOTO/& MUSIC POLICY, PROTESTS, GENERAL INFO & REMINDERS, AS WELL AS ADDITIONAL INFO AND OUR DISCLAIMER.